Saturday, May 28, 2016

New opportunities for me and progress for Daption

Things are continuing nicely for Daption, but perhaps not as quickly as first hoped. The biggest reason is because of other things exciting things popping up in my life. In particular, I was contacted about a couple of very interesting jobs that I've been traveling to have some discussions about. It's a very real possibility that I will take one of these jobs, which will require me to move and work pretty intensely back in the agency business. This would, of course, significantly reduce the amount of time that I can spend on this project. It's a tough trade off, but it would be tough to turn down the kinds of roles I've always wanted for something that has a great deal of risk attached. If I do take on one of these roles I'd intend to continue with Daption on a reduced basis, but get additional external help to keep things going. I'm optimistic that I can continue.

Recently I've been spending a lot of time working on product selection. I've had a contractor and various "advisors" assist me with the process. From day one I've known that I don't want to be in the fashion design business. Rather, I want to find great existing designs that people would have liked to wear before they had Alzheimer's and adapt those items for their new reality. So finding these kinds of items has been my greatest challenge. It's an interesting and kind of fun process, but it's particularly time consuming. And, of course, I can't go out and produce hundreds of items from the start, so the culling process is half the battle. We're making progress though. 

On the other hand, I'm also very open to suggestions. If anyone has an item that they believe would be a great fit for what we're trying to  do with this brand (premium, high quality, fashionable but not fashion) please don't hesitate to let me know. You can email me ideas or links at stefan@daption.com. 

Also, we've got a visual identity set and I'm very happy with it. I worked with a freelancer that we found through UpWork. She was very collaborative and easy to work with, but also brought her extensive design expertise and experience to the project. There are a few versions of our logo for a variety or needs and occasions:

This is the primary one...


For horizontal requirements...

And for when we want just a visual...


Oh, and if you weren't aware, the daption is a seabird common in the Southern Ocean. It's better known as the Cape Petrel. I've of course never seen one. 

No comments: