Thursday, January 7, 2010

5 Minute Book Review - Hot, Flat and Crowded

I just finished Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman the other day.

On the one hand, I really enjoyed this book. I was inspired by the thinking around the environmental challenges we face but, more than anything, it was fabulous that Mr. Friedman put forward a recommendation as to how we can address the issue. The "energy climate crisis", as he refers to it, is so huge and daunting that it's easy to consider it insurmountable. To have the audacity to make a recommendation as to what should be done should be applauded.

While I was reading this book I was also involved in the BC Hydro new business process at TBWA\Vancouver. I can't imagine a better complement to that work. The message behind Hot, Flat and Crowded, about the challenge we face in energy generation and consumption, combined with the need to change energy production and demand, was inspiring while we were working late every day to resolve some of those issues on a local level.

On the other hand, Hot, Flat and Crowded is yet another of those business books that takes 400 pages to get across a message that should be said in 200. It was an interesting and inspiring read, but could be tightened up a great deal. I suppose Mr. Friedman wanted to make full use of all his research, but c'mon.

No comments: