Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sweet 16

I was just sitting in bed browsing some interesting blogs and watching a video or two when it struck me that the functional internet, and by that I mean the Web, is only 16 years old. It was '93 when Mosaic, the first really usable web browser was released.

I remember the first time I saw the web. Before that I'd been online using tools like Archie and Gopher. Then I was visiting a friend of mine for the weekend while he was studying at Western. He introduced me to the web, and I was simply blown away. Who knew what a major part of my life it would become.

One of my first jobs at an agency was helping Palmer Jarvis figure out what this new web thing was back in '95. I had to give an opinion as to whether there was any business to be had there, and what sort of business model the agency should set up to take advantage of it. In hindsight, the reco I prepared for them was actually pretty spot on.

16 is remarkably young. The consumer internet is really just a pup. I can't wait to see what the next 16 years brings.

No comments: