Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wonderful work from Stella

I love this ad.



It's a wonderful Stella spot. Great brand feel. And totally unique.

But my favourite thing, by far, is the use of that strange little oil painting in the middle of the spot to show the carnage that took place when the pirates attacked the beer ship. It doesn't fit at all with the rest of the spot, yet it fits right in. It tells a part of the story that is untellable, and does so in a manner that makes you not question the outcome. Totally odd, completely random, and yet it's perfect.

In looking for this ad on YouTube I also found the 60 second version of the spot. Perhaps it's because I've become used to the :30, but I think I like the shorter version more. More shots of the painting and the blood flowing from the fountain don't add to the perfect feel of the spot. I still think it's great, but it's just not as understated as the :30.

No comments: