Thursday, June 18, 2009

Gutsy move by Starbucks


I was in my local Starbucks the other day and saw this sign.


Wow! I was totally blown away.

The copy reads: "I long for the day that you completely ignore me. You'll be on your break, enjoying a coffee in your favourite mug or tumbler. And I'll just sit back and smile."

For a company for whom I'd suspect 90% of their sales are made in disposable paper cups to put out a poster saying "stop using paper cups" takes serious guts. I'm no better than the next guy. I get my coffee in a paper cup far too often. And I love the fact that Starbucks told me to stop it. And I don't love Starbucks. It's hard to love a gigantic company like them. But I like them a lot more after seeing this poster.

The problem is that the next time I went into this Starbucks the poster was gone. And I haven't seen any more since in that Starbucks or any other. I hope they didn't chicken out. Because with their volume I could actually see something like this having a very positive impact for them. Hell, imagine if they actually made a big deal out of this. I'll bet they wouldn't hurt sales at all, but their brand likability scores would go through the roof.

If you're reading this Starbucks people, consider it. It's counter-intuitive, but it's so crazy that it just might work.

No comments: