Thursday, May 14, 2009

Safe Merchandising

This falls under that category of things that amuse me...

Colleen and I were in Costco the other day. I love wandering the aisles there and just checking out everything they've got. As we walked through the office supplies section they had some safes for sale. 'Cause, you know, you just might need a safe. Here's my favourite:


I can't imagine they're being too successful at selling a safe that's had its door ripped right off. I might be going out on a limb here, but I don't think that "easy door removal" is a key driver of brand choice in the safe category.

On a related note, I was quite impressed by reports that Brian Mulroney kept his $250k payments in a safe at home. What he did for the money may or may not have been illegal, but when you keep $250k in $1000 bills in a safe in your house you sure aren't setting yourself up to look innocent.

No comments: