Sunday, April 5, 2009

Twitter growth

My media director sent the following chart the other day showing the growth rate of Twitter in Canada.

That's a tripling of traffic that puts Twitter into the top 15 of Canadian sites visited. And that really doesn't include people like me, who only send and receive tweets on their mobile device and don't really have a need to go to the site.

Now, I have to admit to being a Twitter newbie and sceptic. I've only started Twittering within the past few weeks, and only to see if I can understand this phenomenon. Frankly, I still don't totally get it, but there are a few people who I do enjoy following, and I don't mind sending a posting when I'm doing something particularly interesting.

All the same, that's a pretty amazing graph there. And all that growth is really due to the network effect. There's no advertising or PR push for Twitter, even though there is a lot of hype.

Will it last? Who knows. I think that depends over the long run on its utility. But it'll at least be interesting to see what it morphs into.

By the way, you can follow me if you wish. I'm "hawes".

No comments: