Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Another Canadian moment

Paul and I were driving past Kelowna the other day and we passed this scene.


I'm Canadian. I've lived in Canada almost my whole life. I lived in Montreal for 4 cold winters. I've skated down the Rideau Canal. But this was the first time I'd actually seen people out ice fishing. And frankly, I don't even go fishing in the middle of summer, so I don't really get this. I maybe understand the idea of ice fishing in a shack on a lake in Manitoba with your five best friends and a bottle of rye. But open and exposed in the cold? No.

What really amused me about this was that about another kilometer down the road this frozen lake didn't have any ice on it at all. It was just rough open lake water.

I wonder if you get worried when you notice that you're the last guy fishing before the open water?

No comments: