Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Why I don’t blog more often…

Friends have asked me why I don’t write my blog more often. Apparently some people enjoy reading my ramblings, and that makes me pretty happy. It’s nice to have your work appreciated. But they would like more.

I’m a pretty big fan of Seth Godin’s blog. He doesn’t have a lot of breadth, but he writes well on the few topics that are important to me. He writes about treating people well, about treating your customers well, and about growing your business in ways that are honest and organic. I believe that that is a great focus. But it’s what he thinks about all the time.

That blog and the others that I read tend to be about what other people do with their time professionally.

These days I spend the vast majority of my time either doing contract work for others or in trying to find my next permanent role. The contract work I enjoy, but it tends not to be the type of thing that inspires original thoughts. (Maybe it should. But it hasn’t yet.) And trying to find one’s next role isn’t the kind of thing one blogs about.

Why not? I guess there are two primary reasons. The first is that I have no idea who is reading this blog and I’d hate to shoot myself in the foot with them. There have been really interesting and insightful experiences in this process. For instance, one place had four meetings with me, nine interviews, and flew me back and forth from Vancouver, and then I didn't hear anything further from them. Another time a recruiter was straight-out dishonest with me. But you don’t want to write about these experiences, because who knows what’s going to happen. The place where I had nine interviews is also going through a major new business cycle, so they may just have had other priorities at the time. As my friend Mike said when I told him that story: “We tend to focus so much on what’s urgent that we forget what’s important.”

The second reason is why I don’t write more about these experiences is that it’s a little too personal for public consumption. Any time you don’t get a role that you were hoping for it’s embarrassing. It shouldn’t be, but it is. You get your heart into the role, and then you don’t get it, and it’s not a happy experience.

So those are the two big things that prevent me from blogging more often. I’ll continue to try to keep posting, and maybe overcome these obstacles, and I’ll ask for patience in so doing.

2 comments:

RN said...

Good stuff Stefan. At least not posting enough gave you something to write about. Hope the trips going well. That perfect spot is out there waiting for you, I have no doubt about that.

Stefan said...

RN,

Yes, the irony of writing about not writing didn't escape me.

Ahh, the joy of pure uncut irony.

sh