Friday, May 2, 2008

Hit Makers

I'm going to point out something pretty obvious, but I've been thinking about how Apple has become a hit making machine. I don't think that there has ever been a company in the history of music, apart from actual music companies, that has had more impact on music sales.

I think it all started out with Jet a few years ago. There have been a bunch in between. Then Feist recently won a fist full of Junos, I would argue largely due to the use of her song in the iPod campaign. (No, it's not a direct cause and effect, but it was the key element. Plus, her music is great.) And then, driving home on Thursday evening, I hear Yael Naim's New Soul, which is the song from the latest MacBook Air ad. 

It's a great song. And who knows, maybe it convinced me to buy a MacBook Air. But there is no way in the world that that song ever would have made it onto a local Vancouver radio station if it hadn't been a part of the Mac campaign.

So, is getting a call from TBWA asking for the rights to use your song the modern equivalent of what it meant to be asked to appear on SNL in the 70s and 80s? (I don't know what the '90s equal was.) 

And whereas once you would have pondered whether you should sacrifice your artistic integrity, now you just celebrate. After all, if Apple picks you, you're huge. 


No comments: