Wednesday, April 23, 2008

the trouble with safari

So, I've got a new MacBook Air, and I simply love it. It's so light and portable that I don't mind taking it to meetings. It's starting to replace my notebook. And thank god for that, since I write like a 5 year old. (Sorry Brynn.)

I also love how the Mac software works so well with the hardware. The new trackpad is better than any mouse, with its two finger scrolling and three finger "backing" within the web browser. Of course, you need to use Mac software, in this case Safari, to get all the features. For instance, Firefox allows the scrolling, but not the "backing". That only works in Safari.

Yet Safari has problems. For one, I'm a Hotmail user. Not out of choice but out of historical necessity. Yet every so often I can't log into Hotmail through Safari, and I have to go into my preferences and delete all my Hotmail cookies in order to get in. It's not a big deal, but it's annoying. And yesterday I was doing my taxes through Safari and realized that certain features in Quick Tax wouldn't work in Safari.

It's not a big deal, but it's frustrating that the best browser for my hardware has so many other challenges to it. I would expect that Mac has a bunch of guys working to fix it, but I'm not sure.

Perhaps it's just an evil Microsoft plan.

No comments: