Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'm not Ronald!

So, I signed up for a TELUS Mobility phone a couple of months ago. I've done a lot of work for TELUS in the past, so it felt like the right place to go.  I didn't want to sign up for a contract, as I suspected that my next employer might provide a phone, so I just did a month-to-month deal.

I went to a TELUS Mobility place on Burrard St.  I needed to be set up right away, so I could have a phone number to give the agency I was doing a contract for. While there they gave me a form to sign to finalize the agreement. I noticed that my name on the form was wrong, they'd put my middle name (Roland) as my first nme. I let the sales guy know. He said not to worry and that he'd fix it after I left.

A few weeks later I got my first statement from TELUS. Addressed to Mr. Ronald Hawes. That's not me. To be honest, it's not a big deal, but I thought I'd get it fixed since it will annoy me every time I get the bill.

I called TELUS to ask that they fix this. The sales rep informed me that he couldn't change my name. After all, I might not be Ronald Hawes. (I'm not.) He told me I had to go into a store to get it changed. I let him know that I'd gone to a store already, and that they'd got it wrong, and that I didn't want to go to a store to fix their mistake. The conversation went downhill fast, and he became rather rude on the phone.

Today, I got another call from TELUS, hoping to talk to Ronald Hawes. I asked them to change my name again. No luck again. Not rude this time, but they couldn't help me.

My point here is simple - I tried to give them my business. They showed disrespect to me by not doing things right in the first place. And then they didn't act to fix things when I called them. They put the onus on me to correct their mistake.

This isn't how to run a business. And I know several people with the company who don't want to run their business like this. They truly believe in making the "future friendly". But somehow this has not quite made it down to the customer service level.

Is being called Ronald a big deal? Not at all. But it will continue to bug me every month, and I don't really feel like going to their store and dealing with administrators to fix it.

C'mon TELUS. There's got to be a better way.


No comments: