Saturday, February 16, 2008

Air Canada's poor follow-up

This is a little bit of a rant. My apologies.

So, after the flight back from Seoul with no entertainment system or interior lighting I went onto the Air Canada web site to use the little compensation code that they gave us on the flight. I filled out a short form that didn't seem to have anything to do with compensation, at the end of which was a single question that asked if I wanted to be compensated in Aeroplan points or with a flight voucher. It provided no information on how many points or the value of the voucher, it just wanted to know which format I preferred. It would have been nice to have a choice, but being an Aeroplan user I picked that one.

(I later regretted this decision, realizing that Air Canada has to buy points from Aeroplan, since they're no longer the same company.)

That was it. I got no further info at the time. Just an odd thank you page.

A few days later I got an e-mail from Air Canada customer service letting me know that they'd be crediting 2,000 points to my Aeroplan account. Personally, I thought that this was a little ridiculous. 2,000 points is what I get monthly from having a credit card with CIBC, it's not compensation for an over 11 hour flight with no entertainment or lighting.

But, really, I'm far more annoyed at that initial form. There was no apology from Air Canada and while they tried to give compensation it feels like they were also trying to get away with giving out as little as possible. If I'd been more clever I would have requested the points for myself and a voucher for Colleen so that we could have compared the two.

No comments: