Saturday, January 19, 2008

A day of rest

We started our first full day in Nai Phlao with breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. The hotel was actually about a 10 minute drive from Nai Phlao. There were 44 bungalows, but I'm not sure if there was anyone other than us staying there. The restaurant was empty, and I had to send my eggs back to get them cooked. Little scary.

We checked out of our hotel so that we could move back to Nai Phlao. We ended up with T&B in a beautiful house that had been divided in two, right on the beach. Our room had a loft area for the bed, the best bathroom we'd seen in Thailand, a sitting room, and a patio right on the beach. All for 800 baht a night. (Less than $30.) We were very happy.

Needless to say, we didn't do much that day. Colleen climbed back into bed for a nap. She hadn't been feeling that well since the hike and wasn't able to keep any food down. I read, napped and grabbed some lunch. Later we sat on the porch. I went for a bit of a swim, and it was in general a very nice day.

In the evening we went across the street to a tiny little restaurant run by an extended Thai family. No name, just a couple of woks in the front and fresh ingredients. Colleen and I ordered our default meal of Tom Kha Gai and Pad Thai. As in most places, the best meals come from small family run places without a lot of money but a tonne of pride. It was delicious.

After dinner T&B taught us how to play their version of rummy. I'm proud to say that I won, but only through some solid beginners luck.

No comments: