Tuesday, January 1, 2008

5 Minute book review - The Kite Runner

I picked this book up before we left because my friend Victoria recommended it. I'm writing a review of it today even though I finished it a couple of weeks ago because I just sold it today to a used book store, in exchange for a couple of new used books.

It's been out for a few years now but it has become popular again because it's coming out as a movie shortly (or is possibly already out). As a result it has one of those "Now a major motion picture" mentions on the cover. I hate buying books that have that on the cover, because I don't want people to think that I'm buying a book just because it's coming out as a movie. Petty? Perhaps. But it still bugs me, so much so that I normally won't buy a book, even if I want it, if it's got that mention on the cover.

The book? Terrific and sad. Very emotionally draining. After reading it, I really don't think I'd want to see it as a movie. It particularly resonated for me as I'd just finished reading The Places In Between by Rory Stewart about walking through Afghanistan (5 Minute review coming) and it was a very interesting juxtaposition. Past and present. Urban and rural. And the descent that that country has endured.

I'd recommend this book in combination with The Places In Between

No comments: