Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Book review - Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

So we're now in the Singapore Airport, waiting for our connection to Bangkok. Flew here with Singapore Airlines. What an amazing airline. The best I've ever flown with. Terrific service. Internet access here is free, but you get kicked off every 15 minutes. After logging in I've now got 10:40 left to write. Eeek!

I just finished reading the 5th book of our trip, Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted. If you don't know Mr. Palahniuk, he's the guy that wrote Fight Club. My all-time favourite movie.

This book is terrific. It's a collection of short stories, all tied together by the central theme of a group being trapped in an old theatre for the purpose of a writer's retreat. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'm against the clock with no time to edit.

The stories are all versions of horror or suspense or some sort of mystery, but most of them have a bit of a wink to them, making them somewhat playful. They have varying levels of disturbingness, ranging from the very mild to extreme. I've never read a book with one hand over my eyes before, but I actually did here. (Colleen will attest to that.) In fact, in the afterword the author writes about the number of people who have fainted during readings of the most shocking story 'Guts'. I know I stopped breathing for a minute or two there.

I'm going to strongly recommend this book to anyone looking for something fun, a little different, and not totally nice. Enjoy it and let me know what you think.

No comments: